Sunday 17 February 2013

Stories and letters, and letters and stories


I was sick last monday and the time between then and the moment I began to scribble this blog was filled with dread. Then I finally got the question, and that moment I was stumped; are our stories or  others' stories “letters to the world”? It can be said that a person's literally output can be a reflection of him/herself emotions and thoughts, but for some authors, notably Emily Dickinson whose work was entirely a personal endevour. Her commitment to privacy led to a unique collection of her poetry. While she considered her work more of a private hobby or a means to “exorcise” her feelings, it produced statements or reflected her thoughts on matters that surrounded her. In a way it can be said that they were a form a personal correspondence to herself.

So from the point of views of people who think that most stories are letters to the world, I would tend to agree with their point of view. Yes, stories can be our letters to the world, telling of  the accounts that could happen to people in reality and merely change it to suit what you or I as a writer can create from that.  

4 comments:

  1. You make some good points. Letters can be sometimes personal, which writing is most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting points here! I agree, many stories, especially biographical ones, can definitely be letters to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, I like the idea of her poetry initially being a collection of 'personal correspondance to herself' which I guess then posthumously came to be viewed as letters to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overall I enjoyed this post, but sometimes phrases became a little repetitive. Background is now much better

    ReplyDelete