Sunday 24 February 2013

To Be Continued?

Inspiration and influence, the ammunition needed for any writer or artist. For many it can be born from either reading or seeing, traveling to far off lands where the scenery would be stupendously beautiful or hideously scarred. That it is up to any writer to judge for themselves on what would innovate them to create anything, be it a crafted stanza of a poem or that really good line at the start of a book. All that people or artists need to start with is a blank canvas or blank piece of paper, since my major passion is to draw so I can relate to that.

Everything starts with a scribble, a scrawl, a slightly skewed like; “Faces in the Wall” dashed in a note book. The images (however cliched or not) conjured up by such a line, your imagination can be swept away to the writing or the paper drawer (failed ideas the first time aren't fail ideas the next time). I guess for John Cheevers and Emily Dickinsons it were emotions and actions that happened in their once daily lives that might have inspired them, the mundane for Cheevers or the private matters for Dickinson.

But what inspires me? History and my drawings, some books I might read along the way. I was always very much wary of being “ influenced”, teased recklessly of stealing ideas. I hated the thought, making my stomach turn when it was suggested I gained influences from other people's stories. But then again I did come with some interesting notion, but that's for later? 


2 comments:

  1. Interesting to hear you were wary of being influenced by other things around you. I consider writers more as sponges that soak up as much influence as possible. Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post interesting, especially your own work being a source of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete